New year. New you. New promotion? Here’s seven steps to improve your chances over the coming 12 months…
- Fix up, stay sharp – both mentally and physically They say a healthy heart is a healthy mind, so keep it ticking over with some form of physical exercise. You don’t need us to tell you that it improves mental performance, which will in turn help with your ability to meet deadlines.
- Education. Education. Education Take advantage of any professional development classes that your company runs. Knowledge is power, plus you’ll be showing the management that you have the required skills and drive to succeed.
- Don’t forget your long-term goals What do you want in five or even 10 years time? Don’t lose sight of the bigger picture. Formulate that plan as it will ultimately help you climb the ladder towards the ultimate goal.
- Maintain a good relationship with the management Goes without saying, right? Good relations are the key to your professional fit; shaping all daily operations and future projects.
- Year on year career trajectory Compare where you were last year to evaluate how you are progressing. Examine 2016 project calendars and performance appraisals and compare them with last year’s materials. Are you happy with your trajectory? Is there room to advance in your current role? If so, prove it!
- Big up yourself! Recollect times in 2017 where you were praised by a manager, client, candidate, customer or even a family member! Remember, good feedback is priceless, as is recognising your own value to the company as it highlights where you may want to grow in the future.
- Oh, and don’t forget to set achievable goals based on your analysis Don’t shoot for the stars without your moon boots on! Make sure all your resolutions are rooted in your professional reality to ensure all goals are attainable.